Monday, April 25, 2011

Mystery Meat . . . and Various other assorted refrigerator nightmares

There is nothing more horrifying and completely tragic than food that grows its own friends.

A week or so ago I found myself with both the time and ambition to clean my kitchen – including cleaning out my refrigerator of old/spoiled food. Unfortunately, time got away from me and while I got the old food out of the fridge, it sat on the counter until I was ready to deal with it.

I would like to state here that yes, I know that food on the counter should be dealt with immediately. But this anecdote is just a reaffirmation of that common sense knowledge.

Unfortunately, last night was the night that I was ready to deal with it. Of course, knowing that the food was bad, meant that the trash had to also be dealt with immediately.

So I emptied out the containers of bad food, and low and behold! One of them contained now rancid meat. Let me tell you, if you didn’t know or cannot imagine, rancid meat is the most awful smell that will ever encounter your nasal passages. Thankfully it was in a stainless steel bowl, so the container wasn’t a loss, unlike one of the other containers I had. The majority of the scented candles in my possession made their way to the kitchen to be lit and permeate the air following the saturation of my apartment by the smell of the gross meat (ok – so it wasn’t that bad, it didn’t get throughout my apartment). Trash was taken out while the dishes soaked in hot water. Then the sink was filled with detergent and hot water, and the dishes left to soak overnight. The oh-so-lucky container that held the meat was also covered with regular dish soap to help breakdown the stuck on portions of horridness that would not come off with the regular scrub brush.

This morning, all dishes left to soak came through the ordeal unscathed.

On a more positive note: I am currently bottle raising some kittens (and getting paid to do it!) and I took some pictures of them this morning. The first photo is of "Rapha" and the second is of "Rani"

No comments:

Post a Comment